Friday, April 30, 2021

late MOTW- the Crawling Eye

 

Yes, it's a little bit late this week, but eyes don't move very quickly on their own.  Yeah, that's a good reason, that's the ticket.  I have talked about this movie before on the blog, but got to see it recently on Svengoolie.  It's a really good movie.  It is a little undone by the monsters at the end, and only when they are destroyed.  This prop looks pretty good.  I do like to think what a stop-motion eye creature would have looked like, though.    The movie builds up suspense quite well, and most of the characters do what they are supposed to do.

The psychic angle is a little weird, but that was the rage at the time (1958).  This was known in England as The Trollengberg Terror, which is the title I saw it as first.  I thought I had read somewhere a few minutes were trimmed from the UK release, but perhaps I was mistaken.  It does happen.  It's a very enjoyable little movie.

These aliens have visited Earth before, but perhaps they were finally stopped this time.

No comments: