Thursday, January 10, 2013

Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster

this is really one of my favorite Godzilla movies.  part of that is due to the fact that I had one of the 8mm comp versions back in the 70s (it was the first one I ever owned) and I got to see Godzilla battle Rodan many times.  I've written about it before in the blog, so go search if you are interested!  but now, with great DVDs (and even better fan done versions) you can see so much more of the good stuff.
the titles are great, though it does give away a bit of the movie.  still, what a way to get a hold of the audiences attention.

Malness is a great villain.  nearly unstoppable, he never quits and he's really smart.  this plan to let the doctor kill the Princess was sheer genius.  who would ever have known he was responsible then?
too bad Rodan dropped Godzilla onto the power line.  that had to be painful, even for a monster that tough.  and Godzilla takes another shot there as well, from Ghidrah's electric bolts.  someone was having fun in post production!
I can't say I'm a fan of this Rodan costume.  it's not horrible, and the actor gives it a lot of personality, but the neck is just off.  the flying prop they use is perfect though.
I also really like the understated romance, or possible romance, between Shindo and the Princess.  the final scene here is very well done.
and Godzilla does anything for conflict in his movies.  I think I can say this is the END!

No comments: