Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Wrinkle in Time (2003)

I read this book at a very young age- probably a bit too young, as I don't remember understanding it very well.  I'd actually like to read it again now, since hopefully I'd understand it better at this age.

since the advent of Harry Potter books and movies, it seems like every studio or production company wanted to get a franchise starring kids.  we got three Narnia movies, and attempts at many others, most of which were one and done (that awful dragon book, who's name escapes me at the moment, for example).  talk about over done.  it does make me wonder when the current crop of superhero movies will be over, since it's all cyclic.
so naturally, the book was turned into a four hour miniseries, which was later broadcast in the States as a 3 hour movie.  I really enjoyed the first part, with practical effects for several shots, and some interesting CG, and some really bad CG as well.  remember when special effects used to actually BE special?  now they are so common place to the audience that we almost expect to see weird landscapes.  I know that to the story and characters it's all wonderful, but there's hardly a contrast from normal to alien for the viewers any more.


anyway, it's quite charming, and the cast is pretty good.  it held my attention until they went to solve the conflict.  how odd.  I'll watch the rest though.  it has made me want to read the book again.

No comments: