Thursday, April 18, 2024

Road to Utopia (1946)

 

From Wiki- Academy-Award-winner Robert Benchley introduces the film, explaining that “the front office” has charged him with explaining the plot “and other vague portions of the film.”  Sal and Chester Hooton, an old married couple, are visited by their equally old friend Duke Johnson, and the three reminisce about their previous adventure in the Klondike. Back to me- The flashback goes on about the adventure, how our heroes got to Alaska and met Sal.  They have a lot of adventures, sing some songs and even have a little romance as well.  The map to a goldmine is the plot contrivance, and generally, a good time is had by all.

I saw this fun movie at the age of 11, and somehow we missed the very beginning, including the name of the movie.  We were in West Virginia, and spending time with my older cousin.  My brother was with me, and none of us had seen a screwball comedy like this before.  We had the best time, even while I was losing in Crazy 8s for hours.  Animals talked to the people, they broke the fourth wall on occasion, it was great.  As far as I am concerned, it is the best of the seven "Road to ..." movies.


No comments: