Monday, April 29, 2024

Calvin Monday

We interrupt our regularly scheduled Calvin and Hobbes Monday comic strip to bring you bit of humor from January of 1988.  Watterson would do these sketches on occasion, when the strip would be voted best in class.  I am sure by now it was tops in most polls.  I quite enjoy Watterson's self-deprecating humor here.  He definitely has his own opinions on comic strips, both older ones and the then current ones: he didn't like many new ones.  For the most part, I tended to agree with him.  He certainly kept up on the modern culture at the time, and when he was a kid.  I loved seeing the Godzilla vs. Megalon reference in the strip early on.

I do miss Calvin, but I am glad Watterson got to end the strip when he wanted to.  It might be fun to see what Calvin would do with a smart phone, and how his father would do with the internet and streaming services, it was best to go out on top.
 

No comments: