Thursday, October 20, 2022

Switch On! Xenorama #46- Kikaida!

 

DAI SHARIN NAGE!  Xenorama presents a giant swinging good time with the newest issue featuring the amazing android Kikaida!  This is a great show and it was a pleasure to put this issue together.  We feature both live action shows, Jinzo Ningen Kikaida and Kikaida 01, plus the near remake Chojinki Metalder.  My only real exposure to Metalder had been in the rather... interesting adaption, VR Troopers.  The mechanical violater, Hakaider is also present, though it has tenuous connections to the original series.  Then we take on both Kikaider: The Animation and Kikaider 01: The Animation.  The cartoons sure look great, I gotta say.  Finally, the fun live-action movie, Kikaider: Reboot is examined.   There are episode guides for the shows as well.

My first exposure to Kikaida was in Famous Monsterds #114.  The only context I had about Japanese superheroes in 1974 was Ultraman, who was a giant hero fighting giant monsters.  At the time, I thought Kikaida was a giant hero, but the text really didn't say that.  The pictures weren't that great, but reproduction at the time was what it was.  It took over fifteen years for me to see an episode, but by then I knew more about Japanese superheroes.  I was glad to find out that the original series was really great and well worth the time.  

This issue should be available soon!

No comments: