Monday, October 10, 2022

Wonder Woman '77 meets the Bionic Woman

Diana and Jaime team up to fight the villainous and mysterious organization, CASTRA.  This group is comprised of old enemies of both shows, many of which I have little memory of.  Yes, I own the complete runs of both series, but come on, most readers would need a scorecard for all of these characters.  The story goes from Washington DC and to Paradise Island and back again.  It also includes Drusilla, Max and other characters from both shows.  The six issue series does allow for this many characters, and fortunately does focus on the titular heroes.  They didn't even have to fight each other when they met for the first time.  Our heroes do stop CASTA, but ALEX 8000 is still out there, getting ready to strike again.  I will probably never know if that story line was ever concluded.
Andy Mangels wrote the series, and he really knows the characters.  It is a most loving tribute to both shows, though, and this comes through most thoroughly.  The art is by Judit Tondora, and while it is good, I would never have recognized Jaime Sommers.  She does not look much like Lindsay Wagner.  In fact, only Max, the bionic dog and Drusilla, AKA Wonder Girl look like the actual characters from their respective show.  I think Steve Austin is in there, but he, Oscar Goldman, Steve Trevor and others don't really resemble the actors.  Only Drusilla looks like young Debra Winger.  I wish Judit had changed that hideous hairstyle, though.

It is really fun, and I like the camaraderie between Jaime and Diana.  Jaime wasn't fooled at all by Diana Prince, either.  I know secret IDs are no longer a thing, and I try not to miss them, but that is something I struggle with letting go of.  It is my issue, and I will deal with it.

I got two copies of this book.  They were on sale for half price.  I will be sending the second copy to a friend who loves Wonder Woman.
 

No comments: