Sunday, January 8, 2023

Svengoolie- now 2.5 hours!

 

Since Sven aired The Raven (1963) last night, and I have already talked about it a lot here, I thought I would review the new, longer format.  I really enjoyed him showing older segments.  There was a shot from the last time he aired this movie, some 13 years ago.  It was full screen.  The print looked far more beat up.  I know that wide screen TVs were not as big back then.  Boy I don't missed pan and scan in the least.  Be that as it may, I am glad that he can show longer movies without trimming them.  I was surprised when the movie ended about 9:10 PM, leaving a whole 20 minutes left for schtick.

Sven sure is a good actor.  Goolumbo was pretty spot on, though after some 50 years hasn't everyone perfected their Columbo impersonation?  I do hope we see more "then and now" segments from the show, as I have only been watching for about seven or so years.  It is hard to believe it has been that long, and that Sven is pretty much the only horror host I've ever seen.  I missed Count Gor de Vol, somehow, in Sest Virginia, though I saw his alter ego as Captain 20.

Next- The Invisible Man (1933) and at 70 minutes, Sven could show the sequel as well...

No comments: