Saturday, September 30, 2023

dolphins wear glasses?


I recently found out there was a Marine Boy coloring book out when the show was being aired originally.  I learned of it from Toy Ventures, and then was able to purchase a copy as a PDF from Retro Reprints, who do loads of such things.  It is pretty decent, and I would have loved having it at the time.  I may get some more in the future, and see about printing them out. Or not.  They are never as much fun as I remembered, though.  Some coloring books are better than others, though.

This is proven by the drawing of Splasher.  I have never seen a dolphin eyebrows and glasses before.  I don't blame the artists, since they probably did not have an actual episode to use as a guide.  In the show, Splasher has highlights above his eyes, to give them some contrast.  Regular dolphin eyes are rather small.  He also has stripes, so I can see why the artist drew them like this.  This was not a Whitman coloring book, so it is very basic and does not have much background information.  But for $5, I am glad to have it.

No comments: