Friday, May 14, 2021

cowardly MOTW- Gigan

 

Gigan has, sadly, always been a great monster in search of a great movie.  His first one, Godzilla On Monster Island (Godzilla vs Gigan, 1972) is my least favorite of the first series of Godzilla movies.  I saw it when it was released in the theaters in the US (and again, it was uncut except for the credits).  This was in 1978, and by then I had seen most of the movies all the stock footage had come from originally.  I was also starting to be more discerning about what is a good movie.  While I like the movie far more now than I did then, it's still pretty dreary.

Having said all that, Gigan looks great.  It's an inspired creation, even if the buzzsaw in the stomach is a bit of overkill.    Gigan never fares well in his movies, and runs away when the tide turns against him.  He is happy to be a bully, but has no real courage.  He meets his end in Ryusei Ningen Zone.  This happens after Godzilla beats him.  Zone Fighter destroys him.  In his most recent appearance in Godzilla: Final Wars (2004) both Godzilla and Mothra do him in.

No comments: