Tuesday, November 8, 2022

ThingMaker- Eeeks!

Did anyone else have this ThingMaker toy?  I loved it when I got it, about first grade.  It had Goop that you poured into molds, then heated up with the hot and sometime painful stove thing.  This is probably part of the reason the toys got canceled, since hot plastic/rubber and metal trays could be dangerous, and everyone I knew that had this toy got burned at some point.  Nothing bad, mind you, but still OUCH.  The Goop came in many colors.  There were several body styles, and then different legs and wings that could be attached to the bodies.  I think there were different heads as well.   So you could mix and match to make endless Eeeks.

It was a fun toy, but eventually you would run out of Goop and then had to get more bottles.  I wanna say around '72 or '73 Mattel stopped making both Goop and Eeeks altogether.  This left us with the bright idea of cutting up other rubber toys (snakes were the main target) and remelting them.  This sort of worked, but that remelted rubber would get stuck in the molds.  I think I sold my molds in the early 90s to a collector.  I would love to have at least one of the Eeeks on my shelf now.  I am sure they lasted forever.
 

No comments: