Saturday, February 10, 2024

Wicked- the musical


 From Wiki- The citizens of Oz are celebrating the recent death of the Wicked Witch of the West. Glinda the Good arrives and reveals the Wicked Witch's past: her mother had an affair with a traveling salesman while her father, the governor of Munchkinland, was away. As a product of that affair, Elphaba was born, with green skin. Her father rejected her at birth, cursing her to have a troubled childhood ("No One Mourns the Wicked"). When one citizen asks Glinda if she was the Witch's friend, she begins to reminisce about their past.

Many years ago I went to see this musical.  Fortunately I had not read the book, else I would have said never mind.  I still want those four days back.  I am a big Oz fan, having read all the Baum books several times.  I liked the musical pretty well, enough to obtain the soundtrack.  Not sure I would go see the movie, though.  The book was not great.

No comments: