Thursday, February 1, 2024

Avengers by Perez

Here is a lovely team portrait of the Avengers.  It is by the late, great George Perez.  It is kind of an amalgam of teams, or perhaps the version he did with Kurt Busiek.  I can't remember if the Beast was in that relaunch.  I always preferred the Beast in the Avengers, rather than the X-Men.  I liked the tie he gave both teams as well.  I do think Quicksilver should be in the picture, but it is rather crowded.  Some fans wanted the Hulk to be there, but he was hardly an Avenger for most of his published history.  I am glad the MCU went to Professor Hulk, since Hulk smash Hulk gets old and boring in a hurry.  Where is Triathalon?  I thought he was kinda fun.  At this point in time, everyone in Marvel has been an Avenger.  Including Wolverine and at least half of the Fantastic Four.

Boy I miss George's art.  Those first two decades of Marvel gave us some amazing artists.  I have made no secret that Perez is my favorite comic book artist of all time.  He made every book he worked on look spectacular, and he was a pretty great writer as well.  I would like to get a collection of his Wonder Woman issues now.  I am also glad I got to meet him a few times and thank him for JLA/Avengers.

No comments: