Friday, June 4, 2021

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea season one book

 

This is one extensive and monster sized book about the first season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I've only read the first part.  The first chapter is about the history of science fiction on television, and the second chapter is a biography of one Mr. Irwin Allen.  The history chapter was more fascinating regarding how quickly television sets infested the United States than about how little sci-fi was presented in the first decade of the medium.  The western was king back then.  He does provide exact episode runs of various shows, which is kind of cool.  Science fiction movies started taking off in the early 50s, but on television it was considered not a safe bet.  With the paltry budgets given to most of the shows, it's no wonder producers thought that.

I have learned so much about Irwin Allen in the next chapter.  I basically only knew of him from the series he made, as well as the disaster movies he was well known for in the 70s.  I never got into those much, they were not my bag, baby.

Marc and Mark have so much information here, and I assume the next volumes will not be as massive, since they don't have to go through all that info in the first part of this tome.  He's also done a three set book about Lost In Space.  I have the first volume of that, and will be reading it when I start watching the series again.

No comments: