Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Ka-Zar and Zabu


This was the first time I had met Ka-Zar and Zabu.  I knew nothing of their backstory, including that the original Ka-Zar was created as a pulp hero in 1936.  He transitioned to the comic books in Marvel Comics #1 and was a mainstay for several years at Timely.  He was created by Martin Goodman, who later became the publisher for Marvel Comics.  The first modern appearance of the character was in X-Men #10, 1965. This was not an ideal issue to start with, I gotta say.  It's a reprint from the black and white Savage Tales #1 (this version is toned down, apparently).  I must not have been impressed, as I didn't read many more Ka-Zar stories after that, nor buy any more books.  I loved the idea of both characters, and being in the Savage Land was always fun.

I had met them in The Amazing Spider-man, but the origin story was not explained.  At least Marvel set him in the Savage Land, rather than deepest darkest Africa.  That trope was overdone by 1936, really.  I know he was paired up Shanna the She-Devil, which I thought was a nice touch.  I hope they are still together.

No comments: