Monday, January 17, 2022

Magnus, Robot Fighter 4000 CE

 

I never got to read much of the Gold Key/Dell comic book output growing up.  I liked some of them, but they were not the draw the Marvel books were.  Magnus and Doc Solar were also about done being published by the time my comic book reading career started, so I had to rely on older readers collections to see any books about them.  So it was very rare I got to enjoy these books.  It's a great concept, a lone man stopping rogue robots (and some other various types of malefactors) is inspired, and Russ Manning's artwork is wonderful.  It's too bad that there wasn't just a little more continuity in the stories.  Only Marvel was doing that in the 60s, and it has since gotten out of control, so perhaps it's just as well the stories were what they were.Thankfully Dark Horse released at least two of these volumes back in 2013.  I'm glad I found this one, and would love a copy of the first volume, but it is hard to find now.  The stories are fun, the art is great, and the menaces seem properly menacing.  It's set far enough in the future that there are plenty of different colors represented, though in 2000 years (if we survive) humans will probably all be a shade of off brown.

No comments: