Thursday, January 13, 2022

The "Legend" of the Lone Ranger (1981)

How does Hollywood screw this up?  It's a great concept and they still turned it into a stinker.  It could have been great.  I have been a fan of the Ranger since as long as I can remember- possibly the third hero I ever discovered, after Batman and Spider-man.  I had watched a lot of the original series, though early on I did not know of his origin or the two serials.  I loved Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels.  So when this movie was released I wanted to see it. 

However, the reviews of the film were really bad.  I mean, really bad.  No one went to see it.  Siskel and Ebert reviewed the movie on "At The Movies" and were not kind to it.  Having seen it now, it's not quite that bad, but it's not very good.  It looks great, and the final quarter of the movie is pretty exciting, but it takes too long to get going at all.  Alas.  Never saw the Johnny Depp version, either.
 

No comments: