Monday, January 31, 2022

The A-Z of Marvel Monsters (2017)

I love Marvel's monster stories.  They are so fun and outlandish, and far closer to the Japanese movies than DC's monster stories.  They had names and personalities.  I know Marvel has had some of the stories packaged in TPBs, but I haven't been able to acquire them.  This book is 130 pages, 26 of which are dedicated to the various beasts, and then there are several stories about a few of the more notorious ones.  I would have gone with the monster SHAGG, but they didn't ask me.  The art for the ABC monsters is all new, and looks pretty good.  The introduction was written by Jolly Jack Kirby, from 1994.  How prescient of him!  It's a fun recollection of his time with Atlas/Marvel before superheroes.  It is only his monsters that are featured in this tome.

It is a hard back book, and while I would have rather had a TPB with all the stories, including Ditko's and everyone else's, but this is a fun introduction to the genre.  Sometimes the writer gets a little too cute (not surprising with Groot, though) but overall it's quite fun.
 

No comments: