Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Three Fantastic Journeys of Karel Zeman


Just got this Criterion set. Mostly for Journey to the Beginning of Time, but I'll watch the others as well. I'm even going to start with the original version of the movie, rather than the dubbed one.  The picture quality is a great so far, and the subtitles are very clear.  I haven't watched the US dub for some time, but that is up next.  I have a DVDr transfer from the GoodTimes VHS tape, so I am looking forward to the better version overall.  The packaging is pretty great as well.  Each movie has a separate disc and a unique holder that is a pop up when it opens.  Criterion does a great job, I must say.  This is just the second Criterion set I have ever owned, though I have seen several other DVDs of theirs.I have never seen the other two movies, so this will be a right treat.  The set comes with a short biography of Zeman and his work.  There are also some of his short films presented on the discs.  I am so glad that they have retained all the original US soundtracks.  It's too bad they couldn't get the US versions of the Godzilla movies, as I would have bought that set.  But that is Toho's fault, no one else's the dinks.

No comments: