Monday, November 6, 2023

Bat-Mite appears

5th dimensional imps were popular in the 50s.  Superman, Batman, Green Arrow and Aquaman all had these pests to bedevil or "help" them.  Bat-Mite showed up in 1959.  He idolized Batman, and always wanted to help his hero with his cases.  Usually this backfired, and Bat-Mite would leave for a time.  I know he was never stated to be from the fifth dimension, but you don't need the view from a beautiful balloon to figure it out.  All of these imps, including Mxy, Quisp (but not Quake) and that one that bedeviled Green Arrow (I sure hope I remember this one, I am sure I saw it, but can't find a thing about it on the internets now) all got retired for a time when the "new look" Batman showed up in 1964.Bat-Mite would return in Filmation's The New Adventures of Batman, and while he was sort of funny, I could have lived without him in that show.  He was voiced by Lou Scheimer.  His return to comic books took a little longer, but now he is back.  His best animated appearance was in Batman: The Brave and the Bold, voiced by Paul Reubens.  He regularly referenced comic books, and made fun of ultra-serious Bat-fans.

No comments: