Monday, November 27, 2023

Calvin and Hobbes 12-20-88

Sometimes I think my parents had the same idea, Calvin.  Apparently Calvin's father is based on Watterson's own father.  Riding his bike in the freezing weather, eating plain oatmeal with prunes are all taken from his father.  I will have to research if Calvin's mother was based on Bill's mom as well.  I really need to get Hobbes in here at some point in time.  I mean, his name is in the title of the new Monday feature.  Currently it is 12° F at the moment, which is what made me think of this particular strip.

My parents were... frugal, and did not want to use the furnace if the fireplace could be lit and warming the living room.  The basement where kids slept was a bit of a different story.  It was a big old house, formerly a schoolhouse, so I am sure it would have been a bit expensive to heat the whole house.

No comments: