Tuesday, January 26, 2021

The Complete book of Thunderbirds (2000)

 

I can't believe I have had this book for 20 years now.  I've told the story several times already- I only ever had one coloring book about The Thunderbirds and didn't know the characters were portrayed by puppets. When I saw saw Thunderbirds are Go! in theater I was a bit let down at first by seeing said puppets.  Fortunately, the movie is very good and I got over it in a hurry.  Plus, Martian rock snakes!  Since then I have learned a lot more about Gerry Anderson and his works, and generally enjoy all of them to some degree.  It was also my introduction to Cliff Richard and the Shadows, something I appreciated much more later.This book was the complete Thunderbirds at the time.  It includes the Japanese version, but could not have foreseen an awful movie version in 2004 (which I could tell by the commercials I had no interest in seeing) or a much better series mixing CGI and miniatures in 2015.

This really is a great book.  It has all you need to know about the show.  The only real thing missing is them talking about the Rezillos' amazing song.  It's not surprising, but it is kind of a glaring omission, since the song was written in 1978-79 (I can't quite ascertain exactly when it was written, but had to be in these two years).

No comments: