Sunday, January 10, 2021

Sabrina, The Teenage Witch (1970)

Filmation had a hit on their hands with their Archie cartoon in 1968, so they went right back to the well and made this cartoon show in 1970.  Sabrina had actually debuted with Arch in 1969, but got her own show, combined with the Groovie Ghoulies in 1970.  Back then, you could not escape the Archie cartoon line on kid TV, it seemed to be everywhere.  Only Josie and the Pussycats escaped Filmation, because Hanna-Barbera bought those rights.  It's probably a good thing, as both the Archies and the Ghoulies were musical acts as well, and adding a third band to the mix would have been a bit of overkill.  Be that as it may, Filmation had a different take on teenagers, and Archie never solved series crimes.

This DVD contains 31 complete episodes, plus a bonus pilot.  I haven't made it through all the episodes, because I'm not a binge watcher.  I have always enjoyed all the versions of Sabrina I have watched or read, though.  The set isn't expensive, which is a plus as well.  I have a lot of Filmation cartoon sets now.  I'm not sure how that happened.

I am so used to Salem being a black cat that seeing him in his original ginger form is still surprising.  Anyone who has been owned by a ginger cat will understand this is just as acceptable as him being a black cat. 
 

No comments: