Thursday, August 17, 2023

The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan 1972

FROM WIKI- Legendary detective Charlie Chan solves crimes... with the "help" of his ten kids and one dog.  The family travels around the world in the Chan Van, a vehicle built by teenage genius Alan Chan, which can transform itself with the push of a button. While solving mysteries, the Chan kids break off into small groups with Henry and Stanley, the two oldest children, being paired together and driving the Chan Van. To ostensibly aid in their detective work, Stanley usually changes into some sort of goofy disguise much to the chagrin of his older brother Henry.

I haven't seen this show in decades.  It might have been on the early Cartoon Network, but I don't remember now.  I am pretty sure I watched it during its original run on CBS, because it would have intrigued me, and not been Scooby-Doo,  I do remember seeing in on WDCA Channel 20 in a syndicated package.  I thought it was OK then, but nothing truly special.  Wiki seems to think there was a pop song in every episode, but that is not true.  I have watched four of them, and there has only been one song in all those episodes.

It is still a 70s program, but none of the characters speak in sing song, or even have an accent.  Charlie is the smartest person.  The main problem comes in that there are 12 main characters, and it is hard to keep track of most of them.  I also wonder how HB didn't jump on the kung fu craze of the early 70s.  Stupid Hong Kong Phooey didn't show up for two years.
 

No comments: