Saturday, August 26, 2023

A Heavy Metal music question

 

Here is an interesting conundrum- I have an issue about musicals and an issue about animated movies coming up.  Heavy Metal (1981) sort of falls into both of those categories.  In the olden days, one could put up a poll with questions, but that feature seems to have gone away.  My question is, where would you put this issue?  It has some great music in it (and a lot of filler) but only one song is actually performed in the movie where characters can react to it.  This is one of those movies I really want to like more than I do, though,  I think I hyped it up too much, and since I couldn't see it in the theater (I was only 16 then) I had to wait until 1983 to see it, and by then had read several reviews.

I fall into the animated movie category for that reason.  If you took the songs out and just had Elmer Bernstein's excellent score, the movie would not change much at all.  So as of right now, it is in that issue, rather than the musicals.  Also, there are only about seven or eight songs that are good in the movie.  I owned the LP soundtrack, and never listed to the whole thing more than once.

No comments: