Monday, February 23, 2015

A Million Brontosaurs

It's no secret that One Million Years, BC (1966) is my favorite dinosaur movie, and for the matter, my favorite Harryhausen movie.  It was the first one I ever saw all the way through around the age of seven or so.  I really had no idea what I was about to see, but I was hooked.  I also suspect Raquel Welch had an influence on me that didn't show up until later, but that's another story for another day.  It's really a great film overall, and far superior to the original, which while not bad, has frikkin' lizards as "dinosaurs".  Bleah.


The "Brontosaurus" that makes it's brief appearance early in the movie was one I never remembered until I saw it later on in the 70s.  It's not surprising, since it's such a short sequence.  It's still a really cool little scene though.

It's right around the giant lizard and spider bit, so it was nice to see when I was told it was there in the seminal "The Land Beyond Beyond" book.  This would have been around 1978 or so, I would think, since that's when I came into possession of that book.  There was a picture of the cavemen fighting the beast in there, but it wasn't in the movie.

No comments: