Saturday, February 28, 2015

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Yes, it's been a while since I watched this movie.  Sad thing is, I didn't even remember all that much about it, other than I enjoyed it while watching it.  It didn't leave too much of a memory, other than the very end of the movie, which I'll talk about as I get to that picture.  It does make me happy to say I liked it.  Sure wish I could say I loved it, though, but that's just a general preference these days.  Everything has to be so damn dark, even "colorful friends" as Baron Stryker referred to the Avengers- there's hardly any color in them, aside from Iron Man and the Hulk. 

So the movie starts out with Steve meeting Sam Wilson, who everyone should know is going to be the codenameless Falcon, all dressed in black, by the end of the movie.  His interplay with Steve is quite good, very enjoyable.
The plot revolves around Hydra and SHIELD and infiltration.  It's more about espionage, which is OK.  Too bad this Batroc is nowhere near as fun as his comic book counterpart.  I wish the camera would have held still for some of the fight scenes, it wasn't horrible, but it didn't need to jerk around like that. 
Even Cap's shield is dark, you wouldn't know it was red white and blue.  One of the reasons I love superheroes is their colorful outfits.  These days it's so muted.  Cap should stand out from that, especially.  And he's a little too violent, using guns and knives.  That's not really my Cap.  Still, Sam Evans is great in the role.  He has a good friendship with the codenameless Black Widow as well.  I like Natasha Romanoff (wonder why they didn't change it to the currently (and correct) Romanova?).  Scarlett has grown on me.
 What's the deal with the movie's title being at the end of the film?  Bleah on that.  I think I've noted that I hate that Marvel brought Bucky back.  His death in the comics was a big deal in making Cap human and remembering war had consequences.  Now he's alive... bleah.  No one was surprised by him being this Winter Soldier, I hope.
And of course, we have the post credits sequences (two of them, even).  Here we have the "twins"- does anyone not know who they are?  It's Wanda and Pietro, the probably codenameless and costumeless Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.  I wonder how their origins will be presented, since their father is M*gn*t*.  And with the Witch's presence in the Avengers movie, I'm thinking I know how it will end.

That's what 45 years of comic book reading will do for you.  The movie has almost the right amount of humor, nice cameos like Arnim Zola and it's about 13 minutes too long.

No comments: