Saturday, October 2, 2021

Return of Ultraman Jack

 

The Blu Ray set of this show looks amazing.  Who would have thought inexpensive sets like this would be available?  Not me.  I'm about twelve episodes in, and some of the subtitles are a bit dodgy.  The meaning is there, but sometimes verb tenses are wrong.  The plural nouns are also missing regularly.  I wonder how these translations were done.  They are almost literal, where they should be transliterations.  Heck, even the booklet has odd translations such as "Will Shugaron be possible to have the spirit of the painter Ushiyama?"  That is NOT proper English.  I'm not complaining- these subs are still better than anything that came from Hong Kong back in the day.

I have the first five sets, and may get Ultraman 80 and Ultraman Mebius.  I used to think I would love Ultraman Leo, but after watching it all I only like it.  There are some great episodes, but I'm far more meh about it than I thought I would be.  And I can't take Taro at all.  I tried, really I did.  But they ain't getting any money from me for that show.

No comments: