Sunday, October 31, 2021

Sven- Frankenstein meets the Space Monster (1965)

 

This is one of those movies that I wish I had seen as a kid.  I saw the pictures and all the ads for the 8mm Home Movie in the various magazine, but it never aired in my area,  as far as I knew.  I didn't see it until I was far older and far more critical of such things.  Not about how it was made or anything, since I am very forgiving about those kinds of movies.  The problem is that there is not enough of Frankie meeting the Mull, the titular space monster.  They make you wait until the end for the battle, which makes the movie a little dull, overall.  Even at a 79 minute running time, there just isn't enough action.

The movie has a lot going for it, though.  The cast is competent, and no one goes over the top with their lines.  The scenery in Florida and Puerto Rico is gorgeous and the shots are pretty well set up.  Sven also made mention of  Lou Cutell, who has always reminded me of Jon Lovitz.  I wonder if the two actors have ever met, as Lou is still active in the industry.  It's a fun movie, and with more fighting scenes it would have been a minor classic.  Sven said the director added the final fight scene and had other people in the costumes to do it.  Go figure.

No comments: