Thursday, October 21, 2021

the *Ultraman

Who knew this would be out on R1 DVD with English subtitles?  Not me!  It isn't out on Blu Ray, nor is Ultraman 80.  Which is odd, since the first seven Ultra Series are, but perhaps these series are not as highly regarded.  They are both better than Taro, that's for sure.  I've only ever seen the two compilation movies from this series.  I like the animation style of the show, and Ultraman Joneus has a simple, sleek look about him.  It's better than all that added armor that current Ultras seem to have to have.  The stories are pretty standard, at least at first.  I finished the first disc and episode #8 features the Baltan, so it's nice to see that.  I think there is an episode later on that features more of the classic monsters. 

It's a pretty fun series, and we get a lot of four legged monsters and other interesting designs that don't work well in live action with suits.  There are several continuing story lines, with Hikari going to U40 and an alien fleet or two invading both U40 and the Earth.  That will be fun to see, I think.  I still like the live action Ultras the most, but this is enjoyable.  The DVD set was $20, as is Ultraman 80.  Worth the cost.

No comments: