Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Young Frankenstein (1974)

 

I saw this movie when it was released in 1974.  I had already been watching all the old Universal movies (many were 40 years old then, and now some of them are 90 years old) on KWGN Channel 2 so I was well versed in the Frankstein mythos by then.    I don't recall how I learned about the movie, probably through television, but by the time I saw it I already knew that the original Kenneth Strickfadden equipment from the original movies was being used again.  I wasn't even ten years old at this point.  But my friend Scott and I wanted to go, so his father took us to see the movie.  It was rated PG, after all.

We had a great time.  It was funny, though we only got the physical comedy and the homages to the those first five or so Universal movies.  We missed all the risque wordplay and subtle grown up stuff.  Watching it many years later was almost like watching a brand new movie.  I got a lot more of the humor that time, which explained on of the sweet mysteries of life, that's for sure.  It's still really funny and a classic Mel Brooks comedy.

No comments: