Sunday, December 12, 2021

Sven- How to Make a Monster (1958)

 

It's funny, I don't think I have seen either of the "I was a Teenage..." movies that AIP made.  I had Werewolf on tape at some point, I am sure, but I don't recall watching it at all.  For some reason many of the later 50s AIP genre movies were never aired in my area on television.  I had to wait until home video to see many of these movies.  Oddly enough, I did see Teenage Caveman How to Make a Monster was released with that movie as a double bill.  Caveman is a much better movie.  This one is pretty fun, though, and seeing it though older eyes makes it slightly bittersweet.  One can hardly blame a monster maker who is told he is no longer needed.  Especially when Paul Blaisdell would be told that soon enough.

Those masks we see in this picture are Paul's creations, and in the final fire, several got destroyed.  I doubt he saw any recompense for them, either.  The movie is sort of what is referred to as "meta" now, since it was a movie about movies.  I like it, and I think I would have enjoyed seeing it at a younger age, though I would much rather have seen the other movies first.

Next Week- The Undead.

No comments: