Monday, January 22, 2024

The Cars- Panorama

 

This is the third studio album from the Cars.  It was released on August 15th, 1980.  I must have got this LP sometime later, perhaps early '81.  I know I had it before the follow up was released (Shake It Up, Nov. 1981) was released.  It was rather different from the previous two LPs.  I liked it a lot, and it is my favorite Cars recording.  I even bought the extended CD edition that was released in 2017.  I had the first five LPs from the band, and liked them all, though I never did own the fifth and sixth LPs.

The hit single was "Touch and Go" which the verses are written in 5/8 time while the chorus switched to 4/4 time.  I am sure other bands have done such things, but a pop rock tune?  That was unheard of back then.  It is a great track, and one of the most "new wave" songs ever.  The rest of the LP is pretty great as well.  This was not the most successful Cars album, though.  It was probably a little too different from the first two, and then the follow up was pure pop magic.

No comments: