Thursday, January 11, 2024

Voice Lessons (2019)

 

I had no idea this book was a thing.  I discovered whilst doing my research on both Pinky and the Brain and the 80s Jonny Quest series.  I bought it as a Yule gift (thanks Mom),  I am almost done reading it, but some parts are not easy to get through.  See, Rob Paulson is a voice actor, and as life will do to people, he got throat cancer.  This book is about his life, from start until he wins his battle with cancer.  That would be a spoiler, sweetie, if you didn't know he wrote the book (with help from Michael Fleeman).

The book is great.  It is honest, emotional, funny and touching.  I believe 100% of all people have had some contact with someone close who has had cancer, or even a brush with it.  That was the hard part for me.  Rob lets the reader into both his radiation and chemo treatments, and how much they hurt.  His doctor said "we have to almost kill you to save your life" and he is not wrong.  It is his optimism that pulls the reader in and his humility.

No comments: