Thursday, August 8, 2024

The Green Slime (1968)

From Wiki- The Green Slime (Japanese: ガンマー第3号 宇宙大作戦, Hepburn: Ganmā Daisan Gō: Uchū Daisakusen, lit.'Gamma 3: The Great Space War') is a 1968 tokusatsu science fiction film directed by Kinji Fukasaku[1] and produced by Walter Manley and Ivan Reiner.[2] It was written by William Finger, Tom Rowe and Charles Sinclair[1][2] from a story by Reiner.[1] The film was shot in Japan with a Japanese director and film crew, but with the non-Japanese cast of Robert Horton, Richard Jaeckel and Luciana Paluzzi.  After destroying a huge asteroid that was on a rapid collision course with Earth, a group of astronauts discover they have accidentally returned to their space station with an alien slime creature that feeds on radiation and can reproduce rapidly from its own blood.  Back to me:

Watched the Blu Ray last night.  It sure is a gorgeous movie.  I like the movie, and had I seen it at age 11 when I first read about it in Famous Monster #129, I think I would love it.  I saw it ten or fifteen years later, and was old enough to see flaws in script and such.  The male leads are jerky, and mostly unlikable.  The direction is inspired at times, flat at others.  The slimes are interesting, but silly as well.  Kinda cute.  I am glad the disc has the trailer on it, though.

No comments: