Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Reptisaurus The Terrible

 

Who would have thought Reptilicus would inspire 9 issues of a continuing comic book?  Not me, that's for sure.  Had I known this series existed when I was younger I would have been searching them out, because, well, giant monsters.  This collection is self published, since these comic books are apparently in the public domain now.  The reprints look like exactly what they are, comic books scanned into a computer and used that way.  While I don't mind that the advertisements have been removed, a few of the pages would have been fun to read.  They do leave all the other stories in there, which are sort of surreal, but fun to read.

The actual Repilicus stories are decent.  They do explain how and why Repilicus survived from the end of his movie, and then they stretch the concept with Reptisaurus has a mate and even children, at least in issue #3.  I think a cast that continued through the stories would have helped them, since it seems like the writers just dropped the monsters into any setting they wanted to.  The scripts are decent, and the artwork is... well, worth of the name Reptilicus/Reptisaurus.  Some of it is better than others. 

 Charlton did the same with Gorgo and Konga as well. I've read a lot of the Gorgo stories, but not a one of the Konga books.  I blame the movie for being rather terrible.

No comments: