Saturday, February 25, 2023

Hero-a-go-go (2015)

 

Michael Eury takes a fun look at the mid-1960s superhero boom.  I generally disagree with calling it all "camp" since that label could be applied to almost anything at all.  Nor was camp invented in the 60s.  Eury does mention this, thankfully.  I got the book a few years ago, and glanced through it.  Then apparently completely forgot it was in my collection.  It sure is interesting how that sort of thing can happen to a person.  I got it out to read while eating pizza before the new Ant-Man movie the other day.

It is really well illustrated and well written.  There are loads of interviews in there as well.  I like that, since many of the items in here, toys, books and records are nearly unknown to newer readers.  I was also born smack in the middle of the 60s, so I never knew anything about these things.  It is really a fun read!

He covers all the crossovers, Marvel, DC, Archie, cartoons and even music.   Most of the comics released during the "boom" had no idea about what "camp" meant at all.  Archie had both humorous and serious heroes in their line up and still blew it. 

No comments: