Thursday, February 16, 2023

Great Mazinga thoughts

 

I am about 40 episodes into this series- it's got 56 episodes, plus a few movies.  I've had the set for a while, but haven't watched it much until recently.  It has really grown on me, though it is not quite as good as Mazinger Z.  Part of that is because it is not as fresh and new, whereas we have now seen this sort of show.  Also, Great Mazinga is really, and I mean really overpowered.  I get that he needs to have terrible enemies, but Dr. Kabuto keeps giving Great more powers.  Even at the start of the series.

Still, the characters are good.  Boss and his pals get a larger role in this series, which is fun.  Shiro even gets a robot of his own to pilot, Robot Jr.  Bet they took 7 seconds to think of that name.  Robot Jr isn't used too much, and only has a baseball bat as a power up.  Tetsuya and Jun don't fight nearly as much as Sayaka and Koji do, which is a pleasant thing.  I am looking forward to the last quarter of the series.

Yes, I keep trying to change to Mazinger, but it is a work in progress.

No comments: