Sunday, February 5, 2023

Sven- Creature from the Black Lagoon

 

I remember the first time I saw this movie.  It was on KWGN Channel 2's Sci-Fi Flicks.  I was probably 7 or 8 years old.  The Outer Limits episode Tourist Attraction was aired before it, and since that had aquatic monsters in it, it prepared us for the movie properly.  It is not a well regarded episode, but I like it.  Two underwater terrors at once was just great.  I think OL started at 9:30 as Channel 2 had early news at 9, and then Sci-Fi Flicks started at 10:30 PM and generally finished around 12:30 AM.  It was a great time for monster kid.

So this movie has been part of my life for probably 50 years now.  It is like an old friend, and I know the movie really well.  The Creature is one of the most iconic Universal creations and has been paid homage to or ripped off many many times.  This movie spawned two sequels and at least seven different remakes have been proposed.  Thankfully, none have been made.

Next- Killer Klowns from Outer Space, a movie I have never seen.

No comments: