Saturday, March 20, 2021

Ditko and Batman

 

I had no idea Steve Ditko had drawn the Bat!  This is from the first issue of Man-Bat.   I had the second issue of Man-Bat's short lived series, but at the time I had not begun to notice creative teams.   Even then, I wondered how this character could sustain any kind of lasting book.  It didn't.  Man-Bat and Woman-Bat have shown up here and there since then, and in some great episodes of Batman: The Animated Series.  He was sort of DC's version of The Lizard.

If anyone is wondering, there is an article about Sturdy Steve Ditko in an upcoming issue of Xenorama. Here's a hint- the whole issue is about comic books!  It's been a joy to write and the research has even been more fun to do.  I mean, who doesn't like to read their favorite comic books again?  The problem is limiting it to a story or two, rather than a whole series.

The research has caused me to actually buy some comic books, which I have not done in many years.  Of course, none of these are new comic books, but that probably won't happen any time soon.

No comments: