Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Rude Dude: The Steve Rude Story (2014)

 

I have been a fan of Rude's work since I bought the Comico Space Ghost comic book special in 1987.  It's a clean style, which I appreciate these days.  I had never read any of his other books like Nexus so I didn't know much about the man or the artist.  Nexus was a highly regarded property back then, from what I remember.  Later on I would hear things, but who knew what to believe back then?  This documentary tells you everything about Mr. Rude and more, with his complete involvement.  It also features many other comic book professionals.  I watched it a year or two ago on Amazon, and it was fascinating.

“A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.” – Oscar Wilde

I give Steve all the props in the world for being so forthcoming with his being bi-polar.  This takes courage to do so, because one has to admit it can be a deadly enemy.  He is honest about this part of his life, and it makes him all the more human and even inspiring.  I don't know that I would watch this again and again, but I am glad I did.

He has worked for DC Comics pretty steadily recently, so I hope he is on an even keel now.  The world needs his art and stories.

No comments: