Sunday, March 7, 2021

Live, In Person!


 I found this old flyer today.  This happened in the year 1989, CE and was the first time I got to meet the legend himself.  I went to The Evening with Ray Harryhausen, though I missed the introduction because I got lost.  There was no GPS in 1989.  For all the faults of cell phones I really do love GPS.  So I did miss the line a certain genius had written for me, but I saw everything else.  Ray presented a reel of his highlights, and what fun that was.  I asked him a question, and I remember exactly what it was.  I wanted to know why he didn't have any of his black and white movies in the reel, since he always said he loved shooting in black and white.

His answer was kind, though he probably thought "what does this dumb kid think?"  He had more access to the color clips, and of course, they do look great on the big screen.  I met Ray several more times in the next 20 years, but this was the first time.  He had several of his models with him as well, and I was amazed at how large those scorpions actually were.

Now I wish I had seen Golden Voyage again, but work got in my way, like it always seems to do.  Good thing I had seen this in the theater the first time it was released!

No comments: