Thursday, September 1, 2022

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1945)

 

A young widow buys a haunted house to raise her children.  She rents the cottage at first, but she soon meets and befriends the ghost of Captain Daniel Gregg. He wants the cottage to be made a haven for retired ship captains after Lucy leaves and provides her with the gold to buy it.  After that, we get many adventures.  Lucy writes the story of Captain Gregg in order to make money to help out with providing for her kids and such.  This is as far as I have gotten.  The book is a short 174 pages, so I am nearly done.

I had seen several episodes of the television show, but never quite got the gist of it.  I was very young.  I later saw the movie, which has the basic plot, but is obviously not a sitcom. I am really enjoying the book, though.  It was written by Irish writer Josephine Aimee Campbell Leslie, using a fake name.  It is a gentle book, but rings true.  I wonder if there are more ghosts floating about.  The conceit is that Gregg is not done down on Earth, but is also not damned to stay here.

No comments: