Saturday, September 3, 2022

Wonder Woman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (2007)


 While doing some research for a future issue of Xenorama I realized that I did not own a single Wonder Woman comic book.  I had only read her main title sporadically growing up, even after the television show was airing.  I did by and read all of George Perez' wonderful run on the title.  I did a proper culling of my collection and all of those did go away.  I saw this for sale and thought it would be a good read.  The eleven stories presented here are pretty good, though I am not sure I would call most of them the greatest ones ever told.  It does have a wonderful introduction by Lynda Carter (you should see her other plane) and all the stories arequite good, though many are definitely a product of their times.

All but the Perez one, which is not a surprise.  George knew how to balance humor and pathos with superheroic action.  I am a little surprised they didn't have white pantsuit Diana there, though they have a story that Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) when Wonder Woman wants to be part of the Justice League again.   It is a good collection.  It will probably be a gift to a friend of mine, but I am happy to have read the book.

No comments: