Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Space:1999

 

Sci-fi series were slim pickings in the 70s. There hadn't been a major television show presented in this country since Star Trek left the airwaves.   One could argue that UFO (1970, but syndicated into the early 70s in the US) was a serious show, but it did not have to the budget this semi sequel series did.  When Space: 1999 (1975-1977) debuted in syndication all over the country, it was a big deal.  The special effects were astounding.  The stories were interesting, and the second season had interesting additions.

The last time I watched it (say, 20 years ago or so) I thought it was a little slow.  I don't think I even got to the second season, which did give us more action.  I would like to see the show again now, and I see it is on free on several platforms.  I have a book about the show, which is so far very technical and quite dry.  It has made me want to see the series again, though.

No comments: