Monday, March 13, 2023

Big Trouble In Little China (1986)

 

"We really shook the pillars of Heaven, didn't we, Wang?"

 Ol' Jack Burton sure knows a thing or two.  Too bad he generally doesn't know what he needs to know when he has to fight a deadly Chinese magician hell bent on reincarnation.  It IS a good thing he has friens to help him with this quest.  It isn't even his quest, it is his friend Wang Chi's.  They need to retrieve Wang's girlfriend from the evil Lo Pan.

I have had an odd relationship with this movie.  It seems like every time I watch it I really enjoy it or am bored by it.  Last time I watched it I wasn't impressed.  THIS time, I nearly loved it.  It was funny, full of good action and has a good script.  This is a movie that if I had seen it at age 11 would have been nearly the equal of Inframan.  The world needs more movies like this.  It was ahead of it's time, for sure.  I really hope that this is the viewing that has pushed me into the "always like" category for this film.  I think it has.

The cast is great, and Kurt Russell is great as a hero in well over his head.  Dennis Dun looks quite good doing martial arts, Kim Cattrall shows some fine comedy chops and fire, and it is always fun to see James Hong in anything.  Carter Wong as Thunder is amazing, though I wish he had gotten a good fight scene in but he is an impressive presence.

I am thinking another action issue of Xenorama is due, I would to review this, and perhaps The Warriors and other movies like this.  Maybe a 70s-80s action theme?

No comments: