Saturday, April 30, 2022

RIP Neal Adams

 

The influential comic book artist Neal Adams passed on April 28th, 2022.  I was seeing his art long before I knew who he was.  He was doing many covers for DC and Marvel when I was just starting my comic book reading career.  After a few years I started noticing the credits and different art styles in books.  By this time Neal was only doing covers, and I didn't get to see his actual comic book artwork until years later.  In fact, I hadn't realized how much John Byrne had copied Neal's art until many years later when I could read some of those Avengers and X-Men comics he did.  Apparently he told someone after seeing Byrne's art for the first time "It is great- what does he do?"Neal was later active in getting creators rights established, and also worked in many other fields.  He lived a long and active life, and will be missed.  Thanks for all the memories and stories, Neal.

No comments: