Sunday, May 1, 2022

Sven- Invaders from Mars (1986)

 

First off, what is the deal with this boring poster?  I know, I know, it is based on both Poltergeist and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  Still, it sure don't give you any idea what the movie is really about, unless you were familiar with the original movie.  I had never seen this version before, or at least not all of it.  I like the original, but it is not in my top twenty films of that time period.  After watching the remake, it seems to me that aside from improved effects and Martians, it is exactly the same movie.  Right down to the ending.  There isn't any real gore, even.  Which I admire, since director Tobe Hooper was sort of known for that kind of thing.It is a fun movie, though.  All the actors are great, and Tobe has several nods (now known as "Easter Eggs") to other movies as well as the original.  I liked seeing Laraine Newman as the mom, and she even does her Connie Conehead voice at the end of the movie.  I doubt I would even own this film, but I would watch it again if it was on Sven.

Next: House of Wax

No comments: