Saturday, November 20, 2021

Ant-Man (2015)

 

Scott Lang steals Hank Pym's overly ornate Ant-man suit.  He needed a job, and ended up with one.  This is pretty much what happens in the comic book, though he showed up in the Avengers first, then we got the origin story.  Hank was in his Yellowjacket mode at this time.  The movie uses all of this, but adds Hope, the Pyms' grown daughter.  We don't see Janet van Dyne in this movie, but she will show up in the future.  It's a fun movie, and a lot more down to Earth than most of the previous movies, even if it does involve saving the world.  The cast is good, and there is a lot of humor in it.  There is bound to be a lot of physical comedy bits when someone is learning to shrink down and talk to various kinds of ants.  

I've never been the biggest Ant-man fan, though I liked Hank Pym quite a bit.  Janet was always presented as so flighty in those original stories, trying to get Hank to admit he loves her by flirting with every other guy she saw.  No wonder he went crazy.  I hated that story arc.  I can dig some real life emotions in my comic books, but dang, that was one step too far for me.  That was about the time I stopped reading the Avengers book on any kind of regular basis.

next up- Civil War (really an Avengers movie)

No comments: