Monday, May 16, 2022

The Spirit (1986)

 

I remember recording this TV movie way back in 1986 when it was originally broadcast.  I liked it a lot then, and rewatched it again last night.  It is still enjoyable.  It isn't even 70 minutes long.  Obviously this was a pilot for a proposed series, but nothing came of it.  At the time, I only recognized Sam "Flash Gordon" Jones as the star.  Now I see a pre Deep Space Nine Nana Visitor and a very young Bumper Robinson as Euby.  The whole cast looks like they are having a good time.  The plot even features P'Gell, the Spirit's femme fatale, and anyone remotely familiar with the comic book knew that.  Spoilers- she gets away at the end of the movie, with the promise of meeting her again.  Alas, that never happened.  

I don't know why people don't like this movie.  It's fun, has lots of action, Sam is great as Denny Colt.  His acting has definitely improved since Fkash Gordon (1980).  He does a lot of his own stunts as well.  It's also very colorful, which I enjoy even more now since the dreary color palette of most movies these days.  It would have been a fun series, I think.  The script has some good lines in it as well, and the sets are pretty good.  The music is very synthesizer and drum driven, which really dates the time frame.

No comments: